Monday 10 August 2015

200 Games in One Month!

On a whim, I have set a personal goal of playing 200 different games this month. It is quite a feat, even though my household holds around 150 games. The collection includes a wide array of tabletop games, from brief and fast-paced games like Brawl and Button Men to more lengthy and heavier games such as Shogun and Zombicide. We are in the tenth day of the month and I have played eighty different games so far, that leaves 21 days to cram in 120 more games. This is achievable! On top of the challenge, I have still been playing my favourite games multiple times. Although they do not count as part of the 200, a girl can't limit herself.  

Visiting Draughts, Marquee Models and friend's houses for board gaming sessions has given me a plethora of new games to discover and indulge in. The games that have had the biggest impact on me so far have been Imperial Settlers and Mysterium. I raved about Imperial Settlers in my last blog post, since then it has been purchased and played profusely. I think I may be a bit obsessed. 

Mysterium's Box and Imperial Settlers in play.

Mysterium is a unique game, it is a co-operative game of deduction with a murder mystery and paranormal theme. One player acts as the silent ghost, using illustrated cards to help the other players who are acting as mediums. The cards allow the mediums to decipher who killed the ghost hundreds of years ago, how they killed them and discover the location of where the slaughter took place. The mediums may converse together and analyse the cards, it is a rather social game! To play this we gathered around a table like we were present for am actual seance, all we needed was the ambience of a darkened room with flickering candles and the wind howling outside. But, alas, it was the morning and a very fine sunny day with sunlight streaming in, and the only howling was my stomach as I had eaten an inadequate breakfast.  

Get Lucky, Hare and Tortise, Drakon (1st Edition) and Fast Flowing Forest Fellas:
Four of the games I have played so far today.

The 200 Games challenge is allowing me to access more games, break out of my comfort zone and learn lots of new strategies. I recommend setting yourselves a challenge such as this, blitz through your own collection, dust the cobwebs off of that ancient game you have lurking in the cabinet and give it some play!

Thanks for reading. If you would like to catch up on my crazy challenge more then follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/tabletopstop

Marisa xx

No comments:

Post a Comment